Monday, November 07, 2005

Fat Belly's

I had the chance to experience Fat Belly's in Portsmouth last week. For a small space, they maximize the experience with multiple fat screen TV's and pretty decent beer list. Even more decent was their celebration of some anniversary (one year in business, I think) where they were selling 14 oz drafts for $2. All night. Nothing like a Smuttynose IPA for $2, except two Smutty's for $4 and so on. Also nice was they kept the smoking upstairs, so you could enjoy your meal without second hand smoke, if you wanted.

Speaking of the meal, the menu was full of bad for you things, which meant it was good. I chose the chili burger with a side of onion rings. The burger was cooked the way I requested (medium) and the chili was quite good tasting, although I would have enjoyed it a fire alarm or two more hot. The onion rings, smeh, not so good. Big think coating with soft onions that slide out on the first bite. I'm more a devotee of a lighter crisper coating, such as is found at Brown's Lobster Pound.

I also sampled in on some wings that a compatriot had ordered. We got them at medium heat and at first dip, they were SMOKIN! After the burning feeling had left my lips, I was able to enjoy them, but I didn't find them to be special. But how can the thinest boniest part of a bird be special, anyway?

I realize I'm not cut out to be a restaurant reviewer. After few Smutty's all the descriptive words leave my head and I'm left with, "mmm, food good".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home